Sunday, November 6, 2016

Me and NaNoWriMo

Well, In a Flash went absolutely nowhere. I'm beginning to think Nano was created to torture me, to make me want to write new novels every year right when my business is kicking into high gear and I just don't have the time.

Time, you say? A novelist makes time to write, right? Eek!

However...the novel I began in November, 2015 is still alive an kicking. I have an outline, of sorts, as you know I am a "pantser" (i.e. - I write by the seat of my pants). I have great characters, a funky plot, and lots of adventure.

Currently, I am working on getting inside my characters heads a bit more, learn more about what motivates them beyond the obvious. I've written sixteen chapters, and they've all grown a lot, but I think some of that information, emotion and motivation needs to manifest earlier in the book or my readers won't want to keep turning the page.

And, I still haven't finished editing my first novel. Dumb, huh. My son tells me to just finish it and publish it myself. Not too bad of an idea, really. With a great cover - I need a new one - and an even greater description, it could work.

Okay, so maybe it's not so bad having two complete novels and three partial novels (not counting the ones I was motivated to write or begin at other times).

Nanowrimo got me started writing novels in the first place. I was strictly poetry and short stories before Nano. So, ix-nay on the torture and hats off instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment